Advocating for HPE
We advocate to ensure that quality health and physical education professionals deliver educational quality programs that enhance the health, well-being, and safety of Western Australians
At a state and national level, ACHPER’s role in advocacy involves:
•Advocating for HPE entitlement for all students;
•Seeking a quality Curriculum and/or Syllabus for HPE;
•Supporting the uptake of Professional Standards;
•Supporting quality pre-service preparation of teachers;
•Promoting the benefits of membership for career enhancement, professional development, and community engagement
- To promote ACHPER as the leading organisation promoting health and physical activity, and its central role in contributing to the well-being of Western Australians.
- To actively promote the benefits of an active lifestyle as being central to health and wellbeing.
- To increase the public awareness and understanding of the professional profile of ACHPER WA and its members.
- To be the key organisation for expert advice on Health Education and promotion of Physical Activity for healthier living within Western Australia.
- To influence policy that promotes health and physical education as a priority learning area in schools.
To achieve our advocacy goals and ensure that health and physical activity education is valued, the ACHPER WA board and advocacy committee will be on the ground meeting with our key stakeholders.
- MEMBERS: Teachers of Health and Physical Education, Teachers of Outdoor Education/Dance, Tertiary educators/researchers
- KINDRED ORGANISATIONS: Healthway, Heart Foundation, Outdoors WA, Public Health Advocacy Institute, Telethon Kids Institute, Office of the Commissioner for Children and Young People, SEDRA, Mental Health Commission, Health Promoting Schools
- TERTIARY INSTITUTIONS: Curtin, ECU, Murdoch, UNDA, UWA
- GOVERNMENT: Ministers and Shadow Ministers for Education and Training, Minister for Seniors and Ageing; Volunteering; Sport and Recreation, Minister for Health; Mental Health
- DEPARTMENTS AND AGENCIES: DOEWA, DOH, DLGCI (DSR), SCSA, Teachers Registration Board (WA), Institute of Professional Learning, School Sport WA, AISWA, CathEd
- ALLIED PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS: State School and Independent Education Union, Principals Associations, District High School Administrators’ Association, Education Support Principals and Admin Association, and other teacher and sporting associations
ACHPER and its partners have position statements on a number of topics which can be found here